How to Remove Mold From The Roof

Mold or mildew makes ugly black streaks on a roof. Not only is it hard on the eyes, but it can also reduce the life span of your shingles, so you really should eliminate it. But before you get into it, here are some safety precautions to keep in mind:

Safety Precautions

  1. Bleach can be harmful to the grass that surrounds your property. Hence, it is necessary to take proper precautions to protect your yard from the effects of bleach. One of the things you can do is cover your plants and other items in your yard with plastic sheetings. You can also spray the plants growing in your yard with water. This will serve as protection from any damage caused by the bleach.
  2. Don’t use a pressure washer to clean off the bleach solution from the shingles as they can cause the granules on your shingles to fall off, decreasing their life span.

STEP BY STEP: How to Remove Mold From Roof Shingles

 

Make a Bleach Solution

While wearing protective gloves and a mask, carefully mix ¼ of bleach with ¾ part water. Afterward, add one tablespoon of trisodium phosphate to the bleach mix, and spray the moldy roof shingles with a hand pump sprayer.

Rinse the Bleach Solution

Allow the solution to sit on the roof shingles for 15 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on the severity of the mold growth. Use a garden hose to rinse off the solution. When rinsing, begin at the top affected shingles and work your way downwards. Run your hands over the surface to feel for slimes. If the shingles still feel slimy, let the roof dry, and apply the bleach mix again.

Preventing Mold From Forming

To prevent molds from forming, here are a few basic maintenance tips to follow:

 

  1. Cutting overhanging tree branches creates an enabling environment for sunshine and air movement over your roof. This can prevent mold from growing.
  2. Adding zinc strips under layers of shingles will stop molds from growing.
  3. Should you decide to upgrade your roof, opt for asphalt shingles with algae-resistant technology

 

Removing fungus, mold, and other associated stains from a roof is not an easy task. That is why we recommend hiring an experienced roofing contractor as most homeowners do. When you rely on an experienced roofing contractor, chances are that he will be able to detect underlying roof damages that aren’t visible to you. In addition to that, professional roofing contractors have hands-on experience with mold growth removal and therefore, know the safest way to deal with it. They also have the right supplies and equipment for the job.

Share this post